Time to Renew the Work Permit


Canadian Work Permit
As much as I had hoped I wouldn’t need to do it, the time has come to renew my work permit – it expires in September.  When I looked at the CIC website a few months back I was impressed to see that their processing times were only a few weeks for a renewal.  Some time in the past few months they must have been hit with a surge in applications, however, because they now require 55 days for a renewal application (or a mere 54 days if you submit it online!)

Normally I wouldn’t be too concerned, but of course with a negative determination on my FSW application, it seems likely that it is more likely to be subject to questioning.  Of course, the fact I have to cross the border on a regular basis does make this a bit more complicated – if I’d known the time to process was two months, I’d have submitted back at the beginning of May – when the time to process was just a couple of weeks.  Hindsight, as always, is much better than foresight.

In addition, the application form that one uses at the border has changed substantially – it now explicitly asks about all previous applications.  The inland renewal application asks about “serious medical conditions”.   Thus, either way I try to process a renewal it is far more likely I’m going to be subject to additional scrutiny.

My attorney has recommended filing via the inland renewal process.  My concern with that is that as the processing time is now almost two months (and seems to have slowed down by two days in the past week) I’m going to end up being forced to leave for work prior to the actual renewal – particularly if it is referred to a local office (here in Vancouver, no doubt) for additional processing.  My attorney has argued that the information I provided before (insurance coverage) should be sufficient to obtain a renewal. I’d expect my Canadian spouse to carry as much weight, to be honest, and I have to include a spousal declaration on my application in any case.

If I do have to leave Canada while an inland renewal is in process, one of three things will happen:

  • My renewed work permit will be issued prior to my return to Canada (in that case, I can just have someone forward it to me);
  • I can submit an application at the POE (Port of Entry);
  • I can request a “visitor record” for the period of time while they are processing my renewal inland (but legally I cannot work in Canada during that time.)

As long as I remain in Canada, I can continue working (“implied status”).

I sent everything along to my attorney for his review and I’m now waiting to hear back from him.  I will send in the inland renewal (this week) and then if I do need to leave the country I will make sure I have everything that I need to submit the application at the POE – the “don’t work in Canada” doesn’t work so well for my situation (the idea of a vacation does sound nice, but it doesn’t really work for me.)

Of course, I really hope that this is the last time I’ll have to renew my work permit.



5 thoughts on “Time to Renew the Work Permit

  1. Pingback: Passport Request Recieved | Canadian Immigration and Medical Inadmissibility

  2. Thanks for your blog. so informative.
    I have a question and hope that you will help me to find an answer to it.
    Right now my application for FSW is in process and few days ago I get the medical request.
    I have some concerns regarding my medical that leads me to think that I might get rejected based on the excessive demand.
    Lets say one get rejected for FSW application based on the medical inadmissibility. What might happen later?
    Is it possible that when I apply for work permit within Canada ( apply for post graduate work permit), they refuse giving me work permit as well. Is it wise not to go for medical and withdraw my application, in order not to have a problem later in terms of getting work permit.

    Thanks a lot and waiting to hear from you

    • Note that CIC has a new presentation of the medical information on their website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/index.asp

      One thing to keep in mind is that a rejection for permanent residency does not mean you will be refused for temporary residency, though it certainly does suggest you need to explain to the visa officer why you won’t create excessive demand during the time you are in Canada temporarily. Of course, your best bet is to try and beat the excessive demand issue for your permanent residency. The specifics are going to depend very much upon the medical condition that you have, the treatment that is required, how much of it would be paid for by the public health care system, etc.

      • Thanks for the reply.
        I will do my best to make sure that I will beat the issue for my permanent residency.
        The problem is that I was getting a support from the province for almost three years for my medication. Fortunately 6 months ago my doctor said that the medication that I was taking and getting support, is not that effective and you need to switch to more potent drug. However, he suggested to take a combo for 6 months and then switch. I have already taken the combo for 6 months and now time to discontinue the first drug. I did not get any support from the province or any private insurance company for the second drug and paid out of my pocket.
        Starting today, I will only continue to take the second drug that I am paying myself.
        Now it is time for me to go for medical for my PR. Do you think the previous history that I was getting support may affect on their decision?
        The good thing is that the province is not going to pay for my current drug and I can show them documents that i will be able to support my medication for 5 years myself. Even though maybe my doctor would tell them that I need to take the medication only for a year.
        Do you think i should prepare and give all the supporting documents while I go for medical check up and not wait for fairness letter.
        If you also do not mind, can you please email me some good lawyers that i may benefit from them?

        Thanks again

  3. In 2013 my wife and I came to Canada from the Bahamas. I put her in college and got a spousal work permit. I had it renewed in June 2014 and it expires September 2015. My wife and I seperated however. Can I still apply to have my permit extended? I have been on my job for a year. If I can extend, under which category do I apply and do you provide services to assist?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s